Thursday, December 01, 2005

 

Kill with extreme prejudice

Sometime programs freak out and go around like a crazed robot in a sci-fi movie. I just had this happen on me today with JBoss. Normally I start it with run.sh in a terminal tab and I have the log scrolling by just in case an exception is thrown. One really cool feature of JBoss is that a ctrl-c brings down the serer nice and clean. Well not today. Unix has a special way of dealing with such misbehaving apps. Since ctrl-c wasn't working I did ctrl-z. This suspended it into the background. Then with this utterance:

kill -9 %1

This Jboss instance was dead.

Why did it crash? I don't know but this is the first time in over 6 months in dev and production.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?