Monday, March 17, 2008

 

Sun Type 6 Keyboard

One of my favorite computer keyboard is the Sun Type 6. It ranks up there with the original IBM keyboards. It is a keyboard specially designed for Sun Workstations but will work with PC's running Windows. First it is a UNIX style keyboard which means the control key is next to the A key and caps lock is on the bottom row. At first this might seem awkward coming from a standard PC keyboard but after you use a ctrl key intensive application like Emacs it makes sense. One feature I really like to have in a keyboard are audio volume and mute which Type 6 keyboard has. Other features I really like are the dedicated cut, copy, and paste. I really wish this was a more common feature in all keyboards. There are a few weird keys that I still have yet to use like Compose, Alt Graph, and a blank key which I assume is meant to be user definable. Many of the special keys don't work in Windows but all of the standard keys work just fine.

Comments:
"Other features I really like are the dedicated cut, copy, and paste. I really wish this was a more common feature in all keyboards."

Me too!. I love the Sun Type 6 USB keyboard.

Too bad Sun choose to ignore Windows users (the Sun w1100z Java Workstations came preloaded with Sun JDS *or* Windows XP, so one would think that customizing a Windows XP keymap to match the Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C Ctrl-V would be in order?.

Apparently in Unix Copy, Paste, etc can be matched to a single character scancode. Whereas on Windows Ctrl-C is actually TWO keypresses (or that's what I gather from reading too many usenet posts).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I'd still love to see someone release a patch/driver/tiny freeware utility that makes the Cut/Copy/Paste keys work in WinXP.

And it gets worse, because Linux has the same problem (no support for those keys).

Kudos from down under,
FC
Buenos Aires, Argentina
 
Yes, unfortunately it seems impossible to get these keys to work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?